Sunday, February 2, 2014

Kaley Stock
Ms. Kelly Anthony
14SP-ENG-101-W05
February 2nd, 2014
This I Believe
                    I believe in the golden rule. This golden rule I speak of states that you should always treat others how you wish to be treated. I believe in this rule because everyone deserves to be treated just as well as the next person. Unfortunately, I as society continues to grow and evolve, I believe we are drifting further and further away from these principles. Kids torture and pick at one another, in hopes to look cool. For example, my last year of high school there was a girl in my PE class who was very popular. She had all of the cutest clothes, the nicest shoes, the prettiest hair, and unfortunately, lack of belief in the golden rule. Everyday as I ran laps in PE she would shout hurtful things at me, beginning with “whore”, and escalating to much worse. I was called new names everyday, and eventually one day when I would ask her to be an adult and give me the respect I deserve, it would end with my broken nose.
                 Now imagine if everyone believed in the golden rule. No one would be terrorized on a day to day basis. We would all be able to gain enough confidence to share our thoughts and ideas with others without fear. We could finally work together in harmony. I would love for this to be possible one day, but I'm only one small part of the puzzle.

Word Count: 250

No comments:

Post a Comment