Thursday, February 27, 2014

Things That Have Shaped Who I Am__My Father

Kaley Stock

Ms. Kelly Anthony

14SP-ENG-101-W05

February 27th, 2014

Things That Have Shaped Who I Am
My Father

                 Through this series, we have talked about two things that have contributed to shaping the person that I am today. First, my parent's divorce. Second, my mother. Now I wish to discuss someone else who has made a huge contribution to who I am, my father. My father and I have definitely not always gotten along. As I was growing up he was always very strict, and I rebelled against him. He ended up kicking me out of his house and we lost touch or awhile. However, since then my father and I have mended our relationship and I have learned many things from him.
                 First of all, my father taught me to be cautious. Nobody is who they say they are. You have to be careful about where you put your trust. To him, this meant choosing friends wisely, not trusting just anyone, and watching your own back. My father is a lot more strict about this, but after many lessons learned the hard way, I've learned that he's not wrong. In today's society you can't be trusting of people. I see many reports of stabbings every week, I even had a roommate who tried to attack me. After things like that, this is the most important lesson my father taught me.
                Secondly, my father taught me to be responsible with money. I have to admit, I have not fully learned this lesson yet. I spend a lot of money eating out, going to the movies, and impulse buying. However, I have managed to save money for a car, and I manage to pay my bills. I think I owe a great deal of this self control to my father. My mom is awful with money, so if it hadn't been for his constant money lectures, I'd probably be a bum.
                There are many smaller lessons that I've learned from my father. For example, don't run with scissors, be courteous to others, and look both ways before crossing the street. However, the two major lessons listed above have had the most impact on who I am. I am very thankful for everything my father has done for me, and taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment