Sunday, March 2, 2014

Things That Have Shaped My Life__Kaitlyn

Kaley Stock

Ms. Kelly Anthony

14SP-ENG-101-W05

March 1st, 2014

Things That Have Shaped Who I Am
Kaitlyn

                    In this series, I have talked about the different people who have had an effect on who I am today. I discussed each of my parents as well as their divorce. This next topic is probably one of the most important. My point of discussion today is Kaitlyn, an old friend of mine from high school. However, Kaitlyn's friendship lasted no longer than the first month of my senior year. 
                    Before we get to Kaitlyn's impact on my life, I would like to give a bit of a background on the type of person Kaitlyn is. She was one grade lower than I, and was gorgeous. She had perfect hair that she could style however she wanted, her makeup always looked great, and she always had cute new clothes. The strange part of all of this is that she came from a poor family. They couldn't afford to give her money, so how did they afford for her to look so good? The answer was that Kaitlyn was so worried about her appearance that she would do anything to impress, I later learned that this meant stealing her clothes and makeup. Not only from friends, but also shopping malls. 
                   Kaitlyn was also the type of person who changed around whoever she was. When she was around the popular boys and girls she would act shallow and rude. When she was around me and my friends, she acted like one of us. I wasn't unpopular in high school, but I wasn't one to sit amongst the cool crowd. To be honest, they were all a**holes. So when she was with us she would act like she disliked said cool crowd. When she was with people who smoked, she also smoked. When she was around a non-smoker she talked about how nasty smoking is. You see the trend. She was a chameleon of personalities. 
                  Now you're probably wondering if she was so awful why I was friends with her? At the time, Kaitlyn was awesome. She was a very bubbly person, so she was always fun to hang out with. She made me feel like she cared about me and we were good friends. At the time I didn't realize how much I was being manipulated. I began to realize this after Kaitlyn introduced me to one of her friends, Kayla. Kayla was Kaitlyn's best friend, the were inseparable. I started noticing that Kaitlyn completely controlled Kayla's every move. She was also very mean and manipulative towards her. Kaitlyn pretty much treated Kayla like a subordinate, like something you see in Mean Girls. 
                 After seeing this behavior, I stopped being as close of friends with Kaitlyn. I still had a connection with Kayla, however. She was a sweet girl, but like I said, they were inseparable. That means to hang out with one I would have to hang out with the other. It was hard, and I think Kaitlyn began to catch on that I was only hanging out with her for Kayla. She slowly tried to shove me away. That wasn't the worst, though. Kaitlyn continued to make life awful for me for a year.

To be continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment