Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sing Me a Love Song

Kaley Stock

Ms. Kelly Anthony

14SP-ENG-101-W05

March 2nd, 2014

Sing Me a Love Song

                           I've talked about my love for music in previous blogs. I think music has a great way of capturing human emotion, both with the actual music and with lyrics. As I can't play you a song, I would like to show you what I mean through lyrics. Today I am stuck on love songs, so I'm gonna talk about my favorite love song. 
                           My first favorite love song narrates a son telling his son about how he fell in love with the boy's mother. He tells his son that his mother was the most beautiful woman he had ever met and how they spent their nights together. "Now most of the time we'd have too much to drink, we'd laugh at the stars and we'd share everything. Too young to notice or too dumb to care, love was a story that couldn't compare." It then continues to say how his father proposed "Girl, can I tell you a wonderful thing? I've made you a present with paper and string. Open with care now, I'm asking you please, you know that I love you. Will you marry me?" At this point in the song, I'm always filled with joy for this young couple. There is simple piano music is playing and it sounds so pleasant. 
                        However, from there, the song takes a turn. "She said boy can I tell you a terrible thing? It seems that I'm sick and I've only got weeks. Please don't be sad now,I really believe you were the greatest thing that ever happened to me." During this verse you begin to realize that the piano music is beginning to sound sad, then it comes to a halt. From here the song hits a musical climax, as well as emotional climax. "Slow, so slow, I fell to the ground on my knees. So don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose. If you're given the chance, I'm hoping you choose to walk away. Walk away, don't let her get you. I can't bear to see the same happen to you." Now, the first few times I heard this song I broke down into tears. A father telling his son not to fall in love, because it leads to too much hurt. It's sad, and it tears on my heartstrings. I think it's a great example of music expressing emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment