Sunday, March 2, 2014

Stranger Danger

Kaley Stock

Ms. Kelly Anthony

14SP-ENG-101-W05

March 2nd, 2014

Stranger Danger

                   One important lesson I learned growing up was Stranger Danger. This means you don't talk to a strangers, or approach them. My parents were always making sure that I knew this. As a kid, I thought they piled it on a little too much. However, no I'm glad they did. 
                  Recently, here in Springfield there was a young girl who was kidnapped. She had been walking home from a friends house (something my parents would never have let me do alone) when a man in a truck pulled up near to her. He began asking her questions about how to get somewhere in town, and as she walked over to answer him, the man pulled her into his truck. This man drove off with her and she was reported missing. About two days later, the young girl was found dead. 
                 I don't mean to use this tragedy as a lesson, but maybe it should be. Are parents not teaching Stranger Danger anymore? I understand that kidnappings would still be a risk, but the young girl would never have walked up to that truck. If we taught Stranger Danger, then this young girl would have known to keep walking home, and not to acknowledge him. Today, society is even more dangerous than it was. We need to educate our children to avoid more tragedies similar to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment