Sunday, February 9, 2014

Know Your Audience

Kaley Stock

Ms. Kelly Anthony

14SP-ENG-101-W05

February 9th, 2014

Know Your Audience

                                      I learned many things from the Know Your Audience discussion board. Some of these things surprised me, some of them did not. What surprised me is that many people in this class have children. Most of them told me that they enjoy spending their free time with their children. I didn't expect to be in class with so many parents. It's cool that OTC is a place where anybody can go to class. Something else that surprised me is that many students in my class seem very determined and focused in life. It seems like I'm one of the only ones who's really unsure about what I would like to do with my life. I thought there would be more students just pursuing their general education courses.  What did not surprise me is there were a few students around my age. These students and I seem to enjoy doing the same things, and we share similar interests and views. Also, most members of my class seem pretty calm and laid back, based on their color of attitude choices. My class also seems to have a love for their family and friends, which is also very important to me. This makes my class a bit more relatable. 
                                   I think these things will affect my writing in a few ways. First of all, it seems as if most of the class is a bit older than me. To suit this audience I will try to leave out references to tv shows and things kids my age enjoyed when growing up. I can keep my writing and discussions a little more generation neutral. Also, I will be sure to choose topics that are easy to relate to. Hopefully these things will help me to better suit my audience. Luckily, my audience is laid back just like me, so I feel comfortable including my voice in my writing. All in all, I have a good audience and look forward to sharing my writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment